The University of Calgary in Qatar (UCQ) considers cheating during examinations serious academic misconduct with serious implications for students’ academic standing at UCQ.
The term “examination” also includes classroom tests or other forum whether student knowledge/skills are being assessed, tested or evaluated.
What constitutes cheating during examinations?
- Speaking to other students or communicating with them under any circumstances whatsoever
- Bringing into the examination room or making use of any textbooks, notebooks, memorandum, other written material not authorized by the instructor/examiner
- Bringing into the examination room or making use of any mechanical or electronic device or equipment not authorized by the instructor/examiner; such devices or equipment may include, but are not limited to: calculators, cameras, electronic dictionaries, cell-phones, computers, laptops, ipads, head sets, pagers, MP3 players, and PDAs
- Leaving examination papers intentionally exposed to view by other students
- Attempting to read other students’ test or examination papers
Actions by invigilators or examiners upon suspecting cheating
Bring student’s behavior to another invigilator’s or instructor of Record’s attention.
If concerns are verified:
- The instructor will confiscate (seize, remove) the examination paper(s)
- The instructor will ask the student to leave the examination room
- Those who witnessed the incident will document it
- The instructor will report the incident to the Associate Dean in writing
Consequences of Cheating
If proven, consequences of cheating may include a combination of the following penalties:
- Getting a zero or reduced grade in the examination
- Being suspended or expelled from UCQ
Actions to Prevent Cheating
- Instructors will share these guidelines with students
- Instructors will post the guidelines on D2L
- Student Services will place these guidelines in UCQ’s Student Handbook
- Instructors will review them in class
- Prior to examinations, students will be requested not to bring food or personal belongings to the examination room; they will be reminded at exam time to place their personal belongings at the front of the exam room (example: purses, handbags, backpacks)
- Instructor or invigilator will review these guidelines before the commencement of the examination
- These guidelines will serve as the cover page of mid-term and final exams printed in YELLOW. This version will have a signature line for students to sign and date
Note: Checking of abayas, shailas, or thobs or body patting down will not be conducted